As summer comes around, you might be worried about the veins on your legs. Visible veins can be unsightly, and they can certainly affect your confidence during the swimsuit season. But there are things you can do to improve their appearance. If you have spider veins, you may be a good candidate for sclerotherapy, as this treatment can help significantly improve the appearance of spider veins. That’s why we’ve outlined everything you need to know about sclerotherapy to help you decide whether it's right for you.
What Are Spider Veins?
are small, twisted blood vessels that can be seen just beneath the surface of the skin. They're most commonly found on the legs and thighs but can also occur on the face and other areas of the body. Spider veins are usually red, blue, or purple, and do not typically cause any pain or discomfort, but they can cause sensations like:
- Leg cramps.
Several different factors can contribute to the development of spider veins, including:
- Hormonal changes.
- Prolonged standing or sitting.
While spider veins may not pose any serious health risks, many people feel self-conscious about their appearance and seek treatment to improve the way they look.
What is Sclerotherapy?
is a popular and effective treatment option for spider veins. This minimally-invasive procedure involves injecting a solution directly into the spider vein. The solution works to irritate the lining of the blood vessel, causing it to collapse and seal shut. Once the blood vessel is closed, blood flow is redirected to healthier veins and the spider vein gradually fades from view.
Sclerotherapy is a great alternative to laser treatment used to eliminate spider veins on the legs, and can also be done before or after a course of laser treatment. Sclerotherapy may also improve the bothersome symptoms associated with spider veins, such as aching, burning, and swelling. You may need multiple treatments of sclerotherapy, depending upon the extent of your spider veins. Your will assist you in determining how many sclerotherapy treatments you will need.
What Are The Benefits of Sclerotherapy?
Sclerotherapy is an effective treatment for spider veins and provides many patients with satisfying results and benefits. Patients love sclerotherapy because it is:
- Minimally-invasive - Sclerotherapy is a minimally-invasive procedure that can be performed in the comfort of our office. There is no need for anesthesia or downtime following treatment.
- Effective - Sclerotherapy is an effective treatment for spider veins, showing high success rates. In most cases, treated veins will fade from view over time and your legs will appear silky smooth.
- Safe - When performed by a skilled and experienced provider, sclerotherapy is a safe procedure with minimal side effects. There are far fewer risks involved than if you were to undergo invasive surgery. You can rest assured that you are in good hands when you receive your sclerotherapy treatment at .
- Quick and painless - The procedure itself is quick, only lasting about 15 to 30 minutes, and most patients report little to no discomfort during treatment.
Sclerotherapy quickly and safely reduces the appearance of spider veins, allowing you to feel good in your skin. You won’t have to hide your legs this summer, as you can walk out the door confidently with smooth, healthy-looking legs. If you are unhappy with the appearance of your legs due to spider veins, sclerotherapy might be right for you. Reach out to the experts at to find out if you are a good candidate for. Our team is dedicated to ensuring that you look and feel your best this summer.
Dr. Scott Mckenna, MD, and his highly experienced team of medical estheticians specialize in professional treatment options to help you feel and look your best. Schedule your or call us at (570)-941-8460 for more information.